15/03/2012

CHAIR!!!! Before and After!!!

I have been killing my hands the past few days re-upholstering my chair for the Brighton project! I have sanded, painted, dyed and bashed nails (and thumbs) with a hammer. Considering this is the first time I have used a hammer, let alone upholster something, I am rather pleased with what I have achieved :)

I got this chair from a Vintage/Antique shop in the town of Midhurst. The man said it was made in 1810, around the same time that the Brighton Pavilion was built. The design of the chair was inspired by Egypt and the legs were made to resemble the shape of swords! I really liked the history of this chair and its nice to know I have given it a new life :)  


Ripping off the original cover and padding. Horse hair :O Very spiky to sit on!...


Sanding down the wood...


Painting the chair metallic silver and Gold!!...


Meanwhile... Tying up the new cover material...


DYEING IT!!!...


BLUE HANDS!!! Leaky gloves :( And they are STILL BLUE!!!


Placing the Horse hair back on the chair...


Putting new comfy SHEEP wool on top of the Horse hair to make it EXTRA SQUIDGY!!!


Re-covering it with plain material...


FINALLY!!! Covered with tie-dyed fabric, held in place with lots of upholstery tacks, hammered in by yours truly...


I have still got to cover it with large Mermaid scales :) (Cut out of Acetate!)

< 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

< 3